When you go to the grocery store, take the smarts of Health and Fitness Specialist Adrienne D’Angelo with you. At our Speaking of Women’s Health event, Adrienne shared an easy way to get the most out of your meals and snacks, advising attendees to mix and match from her categorized shopping list.
The idea behind Adrienne’s list is that you start by buying the healthier, more nutrition-packed choices and then combine foods from the various categories to get more complete meals and snacks.
Adrienne also offered up some practical (and some surprising) tidbits about the bites we take:
- Pick a yogurt that has more grams of protein than grams of sugar.
- Oatmeal is one of the cleanest, healthiest choices for carbohydrates.
- If you crave crunch and salt, sweet potato chips are a healthier option than white potato chips.
- Multi-grain Cheerios actually have more sugar than plain Cheerios.
- White cheeses have less saturated fat than orange cheeses.
- Almonds are a great protein source, but only if you eat the plain ones. Flavored varieties are chockfull of sodium and sugar.